The Government has started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and 64 with a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This process began in April 2013 and is expected to be complete by 2019. If you are currently receiving DLA, you don’t need to do anything until the Government writes to you.

Currently, if you receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you are eligible to join the Motability Scheme.

Parents or guardians can order a car on behalf of a child who is receiving any of the allowances listed above. You can still lease a car even if you do not drive you can simply nominate two friends, relatives or carers to drive the car instead.

To lease a car through Motability, you must have at least 12 months award length remaining. Only the Higher Rate Mobility Component is used; the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through Motability. Only one nominated driver under-21 is permitted. This can be the applicant or another driver who lives at their address. Drivers under the age of 25 can only drive cars in the lower ABI insurance groups and with a brake horsepower rating of 115BHP or less.

Any proposed drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed to apply. If you decide to leave Motability at a later stage, you can request a letter confirming your claims history to take to your new insurer.